Cons of the UK:

In one of the previous articles, I talked about the Pros of the UK. Yes, it’s great that everyone in this country is socially protected, but at the same time lots of people don’t use these possibilities.

I see in Northern Ireland a huge number of homeless people sleeping on the streets. They sleep on the floor or in tents. Herewith in Russia and Ukraine it’s almost impossible to meet a homeless / drunk / sleeping person on the street (in my whole life there I met maybe 5-6 such cases, and here I meet 5-6 such cases a day!).

This paradox is still not clear to me. These homeless people can get help and a better life just by going to any government agency, but for some reason they choose the antisocial lifestyle. Perhaps they are not ready to give up their additions or the freedom that they have on the street (we say that homeless people are the freest people, because they have nothing to lose). And I think people should be given the opportunity to live the way they want. But only if they don’t involve others, especially kids.

Basically all the homeless people here are people addicted to drugs. But they not only use them, but also sell them. And very often they sell them to teenagers. But since teens often don’t have money, then they, in chase of easy money and a buzz, themselves begin to sell drugs. So this vicious circle is hard to break, and the problem is not solved, but even getting worse..

I hope that someday the authorities will pay attention to this problem and the level of children’s involvement is reduced to zero. Yes, everyone has the right to live the way they want. But only if they have made a conscious adult choice and if it doesn’t harm others.

I know for sure it’s impossible to exchange gift-card for money because I recently tried to do that🙈

What is the situation with homelessness in your country/city and what do you think about it in general?

1. We’ve had a big increase in homeless people too. Areas just a few blocks from Hollywood Blvd. now have sidewalks blocked by homeless encampments.I don’t know exactly when the homeless problem erupted but a couple of decades ago it wasn’t that way. Hollywood Blvd.itself is kept “clean” so as not to scrae off the tourists.

Yeah! But at least it’s warm there in summer, right? Because it’s always cold here, and even now we wear coats in a daytime. So I think it’s not comfortable to live on street in this kind of weather 🙈

2. JLakis says:

Hollywood in general is a ghetto.

You better not visit south africa.. you will have a heart attack. Homeless people everywhere, beggers at each stop sign or robot, everywhere in streets… our government is messing up so badly and some of their decisions encourage people to not look for a job. Very sad and bad

😯😯
      But do they have the opportunity to have a better life or it’s just how the system works there?

Not with our current government. Never. There is tremendous corruption IN our government and all officials. For example, during Covid, there were billions of rands borrowed, given, etc from outside. If there was R1 reaching the poor, I will be stunned. It was all over the news here – lots of court cases – of corruption… looking after their own families… who already is very rich. No, it really is horrible. Our one province had a flood about 2 months ago, hundreds of people homeless and lost everything, the government “provided” relief funds… but a committee is still sitting on it, to decide how to apply it. There is, however, private relief institutions who try to help, providing food (also during Covid) – but it is temporary help. No… unfortunately…. everything is spiralling downwards this side. But we still LOVE our country though. There is just too many people suffering and those who help, just can’t keep up. There is unfortunately a culture of “you owe me, you must give, otherwise I will take and even murder to take”. Crime is horrible, and neither our police/army are too weak to counter crime. They are PART of the crime. To work is not in some people’s mind-frame. You must give, otherwise… We really are in trouble and our government… well… the talk is there, but the walk not. As I said, most of them is caught up in court cases for corruption or breaking the law… what can you expect then?

I’m sorry that this is happening. Unfortunately, the greed of people is so great that it does not allow them to take a sober look at the world around them and see that besides them on earth there are other people. 😞

Very very true.

At the 2016 Census, a little more than 116,000 people across Australia did not have a secure place to sleep (roughly 0.5% of total population at that time). Domestic violence is the main cause of homelessness. Rough sleepers account for a fairly small part of homeless people (<10%).
    There's quite a bit of surplus housing locked up in investment properties that landowners choose to leave empty, deliberately of otherwise. I see it in my street, where several houses have been unoccupied for years and have deterioriated to the point of becoming absolute dumps. I find this attitude unconscionable but there's little one can do to change it and both sides of politics are too scared to mess with the structural factors contributing to housing affordability, to make meaningful changes.

1. jonicaggiano says:

I don’t know enough about the situation to offer any kind of solution. I think it’s something that every country even states are dealing with right now and it’s very sad. Ultimately everything seems to be related to politics. Wishing you a blessed Sunday. Hugs Joni

4. QUE TE HA GUSTADO DE MI,SI NO HAS LEÍDO NADA,NI DE HOY,ERES AMIGA DE ÉL CORAZONDELMAR.
    2-7-22.

5. JLakis says:

Yeah, uh embarrassed Yankee here. It is beyond what you could believe. Rampant inflation in everything since Covid, and Covid relief funds misused or running out. It’s our drug problem and/or mental heath problem, plus just wages staying the same and not having access to health insurance. And even the unhoused still prefer the community of their camps than the unending bureaucratic hoops you have to jump through to even think of getting government assistance. Non-profits pick up a lot of slack, and there’s something to be said for that. But they have no funding. So you get a lot of religious missions that make, say, folks pray for a meal and bed, but they’re limited too. Thanks for the list of items.

6. This is one of the most ridiculous but reliable topic of any country. I always raise question against this issue that why they live like this? They are homeless but fearless, they don’t listen when someone try to help them. They are so pitiful but again they are not bound by any restrictions. The question is who is responsible for all these people? and before this, why this condition is created and by whom? Is it something that we (people) can improve their condition or Is it the responsibility of government?

Or is it the responsibility of themselves? 🤔 Lots of different questions and, unfortunately, no answers 😞

7. Love and compassion is the answer. The many reply here show that a few are concerned. If that love was multipled surely the problem would be solved. One mentioned the stubborn nature of those who choose to be on the street. I. Think all of us can agree to that fact. It is probably the reason they either reject or are rejected from a more comfortable home life. Nobody must tell them what to do and family members do not have enough patience as they themselves are burdened by financial and other constraints. Who to blame? No one but ourselves whether we are the ones on the street or their friends or family members. I am speaking from experience as my daughter is there on the street. I often do not know where she is but I always treat her with respect when we meet and provide what ever little support possible.. Love is patient. She is stubborn.

I hope your daughter is okay and Im I’m sure that you did and still doing your best for her as a parent. 🙌

8. Huw Edwards says:

I was technically made homeless once over 10 years ago now and due to a combination of reasons and circumstance my local council were able to house me. I am very grateful for the safety net that they provide to people like me and others. Sadly that safety net now seems to have many holes in it that people fall through. But the net is still there to try and help people. I now work for my local council to, the work is not easy and a good result can be helping someone sometimes in small ways. Although people that think the council can and will solve all their problems this will sadly not always be the case and people will only be disappointed when they think along those lines. But that is not to say there is not some help out there or perhaps something that can be done by others too.

Yeah, thankfully we meet people, who helps us in hard times, so we can help others in future ☺️