Refugeenotes: which side I am for 🇷🇺vs🇺🇦

I was born in Crimea when it was part of Ukraine. I can fluently speak Russian and Ukrainian.
In the summer, when I was a kid my grandfather and I went to visit his relatives on the mainland of Ukraine, and often relatives and friends from the mainland of Russia flew to visit us in Crimea.
I never had to choose, I knew that our culture, traditions and history are very similar and impossible without each other. At the same time, I understood that these are two different states that conduct their own independent policy in the world. It was stability and clarity.

Much changed in 2014, but the world order changed radically in 2022. I mean after the attack of the Russian Federation on the independent Ukrainian state.
It would seem that the answer is obvious. I have to stand up for Ukraine and hate Russia (and everyone expect it from me). But it’s not so clear-cut.

Let me tell you a few of my main thoughts about this conflict:
1. Russia has definitely started a war (even if they still call it a “military operation”).
2. It was done without the consent of the people and decided by a small group of government managers.
3. Most of the progressive citizens of Russia, intelligent, educated people, the foundation of the state that was supposed to lead it to a bright future, was trying to left the country (it’s not so easy now)
4. Those who have not been able to leave are either silenced or in prison. Independent media are closed.
5. That is why it seems that in Russia now everyone supports Putin and his government (this is not true).
6. Despite the fact that military actions are not yet being conducted on the territory of Russia (everything can change at any time), in general, it is not safe to be in the country. Especially on the territory of Crimea, especially if you do not agree with the position of the government, especially if you previously had Ukrainian citizenship.
7. I sympathize with all the Russian and Ukrainian soldiers who are forced to take part in this terrible tragedy.
8. President Zelensky has shown himself to be a true leader. He and all Ukrainian soldiers are heroes defending their Motherland.
9. At the same time, if Russia shows hatred only for the Nazis (whom they invented themselves), then unfortunately Ukrainians are now at the stage when they hate all Russians in general, but not just that who are guilty and support the war.

So which side I’m for?
I understand who is responsible for the war and I blame the Russian government for it, but at the same time I do not stop to love the Russian country and its people. I’m not going to choose either side because I sympathize with both sides. I call for and advocate an immediate cessation of hostilities and for negotiations. War has never been and will never be an acceptable method of conflict resolution.

Therefore my answer for this questions is: I’m for the side of wisdom, love, brotherhood and peace.

🙌

1. I’m so sorry that your countries are in such terrible conflict, but I admire your ability to not choose sides. If I were in your position, I would definitely choose a side and be extremely resentful of the other. Hugs to you and your family. I can’t imagine war in my home.

2. mic says:

👌👌👌✒️Great article

A nuanced post. Nothing is ever black and white.

That’s so true.

Thanks for the insight… the truth is so sad. And it happens in a lot of countries; goverment made decisions and their own people suffer!

Yes, unfortunately it’s true. 😔

5. leo f. brady says:

Sofia – We all pray that people with “wisdom, love, brotherhood and peace” get together and end this conflict and killing soon!
    take care of yourself!

6. I shoved it on my Blog.

7. “Krieg war und wird nie eine akzeptable Methode der Konfliktlösung sein.”
    Ich denke, vor der Annexion der Krim 2014 und den von Russland im Donbass unterstützten Separatisten hat die Ukraine keine Konflikte gekannt. Deine innere Zerrissenheit kann ich mir sehr gut vorstellen. Wenn ich aber höre, dass 70% der Russen hinter Putin stehen, dann ist für mich die Entscheidung klar. Natürlich ist es auf die gewaltige Propaganda zurück zu führen. Aber leider gibt es auch hier in Deutschland (in einem Land, wo die Demokratie gelebt wird) Russen, welche hinter Putin stehen und sich auch noch diskrimitiert fühlen.
    Es ist einfach eine verkehrte Welt, wo der Mensch sein friedliches Leben leben will, aber immer wieder Despoten gibt, die sich für Götter halten und anderen ihren Willen aufzwingen wollen.
    Mein Herz, mein Mitgefühl und meine Gedanken sind ganz fest an der Seite der Ukrainer!
    G. l. G. Jochen

Thanks for sharing. I respect and grateful for your opinion ☺️

2. hgamma says:

Nicht die Menschen aus Russland, auch Menschen die mit ihrer Überzeugung und Grundhaltung ein Verständnis, ja Putin sogar als das eigentliche Opfer darstellen und sehen.

8. Emille says:

Thank you for the like on my blog. I am a (now retired) Dutchman (woman) living in Texas. So I understand what you said about loving the Ukrainians, as well as the Russians. Are you still in the Ukraine or iive in another country? Hope this war ends soon, so the Ukraine can think of rebuilding the country! The grab for monopoly in world power of Russian and China is distaste-ful to me, but that is the opinion of a Dutch woman. All the best to you, and am happy you are still alive!

2. hgamma says:

Wat mij onderdrukt is de onderdrukking
      van vrouwen over de anti-abortuswet
      van zwarte en inheemse volkeren
      het gebruik van wapens ook in de handen van kinderen
      aanvaarding van de houding van de laatste president
      die de ondeelbare menselijke waardigheid vertrapt

1. hgamma says:

What oppresses me is the oppression
        of women on the anti-abortion law
        of black and indigenous people
        the use of weapons also in the hands of children
        acceptance of the attitude of the last President
        who tramples underfoot the indivisible human dignity

Was mich bedrückt ist die Unterdrückung
        der Frauen zum Gesetz gegen die Abtreibung
        der schwarzen und indigenen Menschen
        der Gebrauch für Waffen auch in die Hand der Kinder
        die Akzeptanz gegenüber deer Gesinnung des letzten Präsidenten
        der die unteilbare Menschenwürde mit Füssen tritt

2. Emille says:

Any oppression is wrong, but understanding and wisdom is not something all rulers have (I wish!), so control is the only way they know how to deal with what they see as “prolems!”

3. hgamma says:

Many thanks for your response.

There’s no way I can bring a mad Primminster to his senses.

I have enough to work on the corruption I caused.

4. Emille says:

You are only one swimmer in an unmeasurable sea – it;s okay!

9. Priti says:

Beautiful article ! Actually not only you most of the people love peace, brotherhood, calm. Because war only destroy everything! Well shared

10. Thank you for your mature honesty. There is a saying in English that when kings fight the people suffer and soldiers are killed. That means that quarrels between leaders hurt only those on each side of the conflict who just want to get on with their lives and live in peace.

We have similar saying in Russian and I find it true.

11. usfman says:

All wars eventually end and I can only hope that your Ukraine will retain it’s autonomy when this conflict ends. Keep the faith!

12. nitinsingh says:

U write on a terrible conflict , ….no doubt a tough time

13. Rose says:

I admire your ability to see all sides of this issue. I wish more people were like this – able to see all sides, and then to work together for peace and justice. ❤️
    In the USA, many people have chosen a political side and will fight to the death to defend their “side”, without looking at truth and facts and working towards what is good for all.
    I hurt for all the people involved in the war in Ukraine and Russia. The terror and death is a nightmare. I don’t understand why the world doesn’t come together to broker peace between warring nations. I wish there was something I could do to help.

I also don’t understand why it’s necessary to resolve conflicts by military force. But, unfortunately, it is obvious that there are much fewer pacefists in the world. That’s why it’s much more important to be one of them. 🙌

And thank you for your comment 🤗

14. Enviroart says:

This is a courageous post thank you for sharing this wisdom