Refugee notes: am I Russian or Ukrainian

Let’s start from the beginning. My parents were born in Soviet Union, after 1991 they had Ukrainian passports and after 2014 they have Russian citizenship.
Thus when I talk to Russians, they call me Russian, and Ukrainians call me Ukrainian.
But when people ask me this question here, they don’t wait for my answer and decide by themselves. Most of them say that I am Ukrainian.

So…am I Russian or Ukrainian?
The first place where people waited for my answer was (try to guess!) in the Home Office. I think they expected me to choose between two of these options. But for me, it’s impossible. I think that by choosing one, I betray the other.

I’m not Russian. I’m not Ukrainian. I’m both.

I feel equally involved in the culture, traditions and history of both nations. And although I understand on whose side the truth is in this conflict, I still love both countries equally strong.
However, for all those who will not be satisfied with my answer and who need me to make a decision, I say this:

I’m Crimean.

1. Orca Flotta says:

I guess it is much easier than you make it, Sofia. There’s only a very few requirements to be either or:
    1) mothertongue
    2) passport
    3) place of birth.

You just said Ukraine. Ukraine proper, Crimea or Donbas? That’s the deciding question I guess. Ýou once posted that you’re from Crimea? In that case you are with 80% probability ethnic Russian. Lucky you, escaped from the fascist poorhouse. =^.^= No reason to move to NI.

2. julydase says:

You are who you are. I see no need to pick one or the other if you feel an affinity to both. After all, there are many people who hold dual citizenships.

As long as you know who you are and are comfortable with it… it’s good. Be good to yourself in a new country.

4. Well said. It sounds like you have a sense of identity though it may be difficult for others to understand. As long as you understand, that’s all that matters.

You are what you feel comfortable calling yourself: what I or anyone else thinks is beside the point.

Ohhh thank you! I really like this comment 🤗

6. granny1947 says:

It does not matter what other people think.
    You are you.
    Have no idea how you deal with the home office.

7. It is amazing how all these labels others want to apply to us drives up apart.

Yes, that’s true..

8. That was a good balancing act done superbly with a big heart accommodating love 💕 for goth countries! Keep it up and be comfortable with what you think , Sofia

9. tubularsock says:

“I understand on whose side the truth is in this conflict. . .”

There is NO TRUTH in this conflict except stupidity!

No matter what country one is from. In there is the lesson!

But that is what Tubularsock believes.

Be who you are and drop the labels. They are meant to confuse the issue.

Cheers.

10. Chris Hall says:

I consider myself a citizen of the world, UK-born, living in South Africa these past 10 years.

It’s a good choice! I agree that the whole world is our home 😊

1. Chris Hall says:

👍🤗

11. And this I showed, too, on my blog.

🔅🔅🔅

12. Ich kann mir sehr gut vorstellen, wie man sich fürlen muss, mit solch´ einer Konstellation leben zu müssen. Aber diese ständige Fragerei würde mir auch auf die Nerven gehen.
    Somit finde ich diese Lösung der Antwort ” Ich bin Krim ” sehr genial und passend.
    Ich hoffe, dass das Gefühl des Verrats jeweils der anderen Seite gegenüber bald ein Ende findet, weil die Krim wieder frei und Krim sein darf.

G. l. G. Jochen

13. Nobody, but only you have to identify yourself. Otherwise, you’ll be in trouble all the time, unless you will get a new citizenship of the other country and become a proud citizen of that country. In the situation as of today you cannot be both – Ukrainian and Russian, even if you like equally both of these countries. It is a hard decision but you have to make it.

Why I cannot be both Ukrainian and Russian? I think I’m or both of them or neither of them. That’s why I prefer to say I’m Crimean.

1. You can identify yourself as you wish, however, there is a passport where you have your citizenship, and then you have to chose one of it.