Important day

Today is important day for all post-Soviet space. I’m not sure if this day is the same popular here in NI as in my home land but I think lots of people know about it even if they don’t celebrate this holiday. Try to guess what holiday is it today?

Yes, today is a Victory Day (9 of May)! And I was raised in an atmosphere of respect for this day and all the people who were involved in the liberation of the world from the Nazi invaders. We children were proud of our warriors, their bravery and courage even half a century after the war. We had someone to look up to.

veteran Tkachova A.
veteran Lepehin I.

But we’re not children anymore. And, unfortunately, having grown up in good living conditions, many of us have forgotten all the horrors and destruction that war brings. Moreover, some of us began to destroy the usual world order and impose their ideas by aggressive methods.

In this context, today’s holiday stops being a bright day of peace and love, and becomes a platform for propaganda speeches of those in power.

But I insist! War continues to be a war, even if you forbid it to be called so. And it is pure evil in any of its manifestations. So let’s not forget this and instead of the total anger, let’s share warmth, friendship and kindness with each other.
And then our children will be able to continue to celebrate May 9 as a bright day of goodness and joy.

🙏

I wish you all peace and love today and every day🙌

1. So beautifully penned! “let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me” those are the words to one of my favorite songs. It’s a hymn that resonates with me. May you know the blessings of peace.

Wow! Very nice words. Now they will be my slogan. Thank you 🤗

1. My absolute pleasure! 🙂

2. “Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me”, great comment Carol and great post Sofia.

Now this quote is on my Instagram profile. These are the words that fit my life perfectly 🌺
        And thanks both of you 🤗

2. Thank you for spreading the message

3. Thank you, kindly 🙂

2. If one can looks beyond the false narrative that seeks to find glory, and honor in the Old Man’s club wars… it would be recognized by all, that war is the greatest crime in (his)tory… and will only end when it is realized that (her)tory should no longer be marginalized…!
    🇯🇲🏖️

Yes you are right! But unfortunately there are still many people in the world who support the war 😔
      Anyway thank you for reading this and for bringing thoughts of kindness and prudence 🙏

Very big word peace& love. But who’s expect it.
    I wish you today love & peace . Why call victory day on 9th may.?

On May 8, Soviet soldiers entered Berlin and the surrender of Germany was signed, and on May 9, Victory Day in the Great Patriotic War was announced. But globally, the war was still going on and ended on September 2, 1945 after the surrender of Japan.

Thank you so much .

4. datta says:

A nice drafting of Important subject!

5. Very thoughtful and in these difficult times when war or invasion is justified by past histories and the climate crisis is ignored. I hope there will be more change that helps us become peacemakers and our children can have a better future.

I hope so! 🙏

6. Orca Flotta says:

“I’m not sure if this day is the same popular here in NI as in my home land”
    Most of the (western) world celebrates the end of WW2 on the 8th, not the 9th. But we celebrate it, too, even in Germany.

Yes, that makes sense. But in any case, it is important not to forget such dates. 🙏

1. Orca Flotta says:

It is, it is. Even if all the ultraconservative younglings of today desperately want to forget it. 😦

7. In the US, Victory in Europe (VE Day) isn’t celebrated like May 9 is in your home. It is a notable day in history (as is Victory in Japan, VJ Day) but not a national holiday.
    Instead, we honor the dead from all our various wars on Memorial Day and honor everyone who wears (or wore) an American uniform on Veterans’ Day.
    I can’t think of any time we parade missiles through the streets like the Russians do. Our parades are all marching bands and local organizations and floats.

Yes, I agree that the victory parade should be a manifestation of peace and goodness, and not a demonstration of the military power of the state. And thank you for sharing how it’s going in your country.